SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mezerimay

Prayer plant won't roll up leaves - need help.

Mezerimay
12 years ago

I recently got a beautiful prayer plant, but for some reason it is not folding its leaves at night. It raises them, as if it's preparing to do so (see pics) but doesn't actually roll them up. I heard that's a sign that the plant is stressed and I'm worried. It also has some brown tips here and there, but I can't tell why. And the weird part is, it's got a few new shoots just in the past week - so it's growing - which is good, right?

Plant lighting conditions - it's at the top of a bookshelf in the corner between a south and west windows. The south window nearby is blocked by a tightly closed blind and also filtered with a sheer curtain - I know prayer plants don't like direct sunlight. Some brown tips are on the south side, where there is a blind. The west side is all clear however.

Humidity - on average it's around 60-70% on top of the bookshelf. Temperature is between 70 and 80 degrees F. I also put the pot on a bed of pebbles and poured water on the pebbles that would evaporate and keep humidity higher.

Watering: I recently watered it, I made sure it drained well, although the soil is very nice and moist. This is my first plant, though, so I may be missing something, but it doesn't seem to be overwatered or standing in still water.

Again, some leaf tips are brown, but what's weird is that although it's not folding leaves, it's sprouted a couple new shoots just this week. Should I be worried about my plant? What am I doing wrong, if anything? It's my first plant, ever, and I really don't want anything to happen to it.

{{gwi:92188}}

{{gwi:92189}}

{{gwi:92190}}

{{gwi:92191}}

Comments (4)