SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myk1_gw

Kids and electric fences

myk1
14 years ago

Do you think 800 volts is enough to deter kids?

I was raised with 2000 volts and know that would but I don't think I'd get away with a livestock fence here. I figure I could get away with running the 800 volts along the top of my chain link and say it's to keep my dog from climbing to get to the kid next door (that kid is too young to be the problem child, it's another neighbor's weekend kids that come into that yard that are the problem).

Today I found one of my apple maggot traps in the garden. At first I figured a coon got suckered but all the traps on the trees inside the garden fence were there.

I saw the problem kids were next door and I guessed which side of the tree the trap came from. I was right, and there was also another knocked down.

No sooner had I rehung the traps and got back in the house one of the problem kids started climbing my fence right where the trap hangs.

I yelled at him which stopped him but then I had to keep a watch out because his sister was "slyly" keeping a watch and then later defiantly keeping watch because I made no attempt at hiding so she was "watching me back".

I figure the sister is the instigator of the thrown trap yesterday and stolen apples last year. With her trying to get me to back down I figure I'm in for some crap.

I don't think a couple sections of privacy fence will work because the neighborhood is terraced so they could easily get to the top and pull themselves up.

The cost of the electric "dog fences" isn't too bad, about 2 bushels worth, and I would only need it plugged in every other weekend.

So the only question is if 800v is enough for a human.

Comments (14)