SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joereal

Early season fruits wrapping up.

joereal
16 years ago

The first stone fruits of the season was from my Goldkist apricots. Their flesh are near orange instead of yellow, firm but juicy. Since I am using them as pollinators, I only keep the branches small but it seemed to be self fertile and so had some nice fruits in the meager branches. This was followed by Flavorella about 10 days later.

Flavorella was really excellent down to its last tiniest fruits, all gone now. Only the pleasant aftertaste remains embedded in my memories.

My Rainier cherries bore fruits the first time, after about 7 years, on Mahaleb rootstock. Boy, these cherries are big and tasty, about 3/4" to 1 1/4" on the widest dimension! And to think that I almost took them for granted and almost didn't bother to harvest them, but when I looked at the $8/lb price of Rainier cheries from Safeway, I hurried back to my tree and harvested most of them. Got about $80 worth of fruit from the Rainier branch! Bird's didn't bother them because they looked like unripe cherries.

I still have many different cherries left with different ripening stages, and different degree of bird bites! My yellow cherries are holding on very nicely without any disturbance. It is the dark red cherries that are being constantly harassed by these pesky finches and black birds.

The very cool below normal early summer temperature resulted in the disappointing taste of my Luther Burbank plum. I am really waiting for some heat wave to perk things up, but no. They are overripe now, only the aroma remains, but it is insipid and not even sweet at all! So off to Jellies they become. My wife already made some jellies from a combo of the early ripeners from various stone fruits. You know some of the fruits are way ahead of the curve when it comes to ripening.

Some Flavorosa are starting to ripen, and they don't taste good fresh from the tree. But those that I let stay in the fruit bowl for 2 days or more until they turn almost black, their flavor becomes complex and pleasant.

Already tasted the Flavor Supreme pluot fresh from the tree and they are outstanding. Too bad I only have small branches of these types. I will try to regraft some more of these early season pluots.

Mid-season apricots, Beauty plum, some other Zee sweet nuggets, Catalina plums, Methley, May Grand Nectarine, are starting to change colors. Blueberries are starting to turn blue, literally. These are now going into the intermediate season fruit crops.

My camera broke, but I'll try to see if I can borrow and try to post some pics.

There will be more to come...

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County