SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dezzo77

Safe to save rhizomes from scale infested plant?

dezzo77
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've got a neglected Philodendron Xanadu (Winterbourne) plant here that I discovered today was infested with little brown scale insects.

I read that propagation with this plant is really only possible by division if you can separate an offshoot rhizome.

So, I cut off all the leaves and stems and dug out the root system and separated a few chunks that had roots of their own and some stem remaining from where I cut the leaves off.

My question is, can I safely keep these parts and try to grow a new plant, or will there be scale insects infested in them as well?

I can see the adults quite easily, but I don't know if there are invisible babies I might not notice, etc.

I was thinking about doing a thorough visual inspection and using an alcohol soaked cotton swab to remove any insects I may find around the rhizomes (and maybe even rubbing alcohol around stem areas where I don't see them) then spraying the whole mess (roots and all) with Safer's Insecticidal Soap (since that's all I have), letting it all sit for an hour or so, then rinsing everything thoroughly with water before planting the bits into new soil. At that point I was thinking I'd spray the above soil stem portion (and surrounding soil) with more of the insecticidal soap and place it somewhere to hopefully re-grow.

That's all I can come up with to try to start some new scale-free plants. Does anyone think it would work? Is it risking more scale?

If I have to biff the entire plant into the trash, I'm totally fine with doing that as scale freaks me out.

Comments (2)