SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dragonstone

Seeds from Variegated Spider Plant grows normal green?

dragonstone
15 years ago

I've done a lot of searching through google and I can not find the answer to this.

I have tons of variegated spider plants. None of them are indoors. They're all strictly outdoor plants that have been growing in flowerboxes.

In my jade plant collection, I've been noticing thick grass-like plants growing in their pots. I would rip them out but they'd keep coming back. I always figured it was one of those annoying weedy plants where the seeds landed and they grow a bulb or rhizome or something.

Today, I got the shock of my life. I noticed a Spider Plant 'vine' coming through one of my jade plants. I figured maybe someone moved one of the spider plant pots and the vine was poking through my jade plant.

Closer inspection shows that it's coming out of a green plant in the pot. Now that I'm taking a second look, it appears that the thick green grass-like plants I have been ripping out of the jade plant pots are spider plants!

Does this mean that the seeds from my variegated spider plants have fallen into the jade plant pots and have been growing solid green spider plants?

Comments (5)