SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcfromfl

Interesting observation of 'fresh-picked GA peaches'

bcfromfl
14 years ago

This time of year, there are a lot of folks from Georgia who will pick peaches, load up a trailer, and drive down here to NW Florida to sell them on the side of the road. Since my wife and I are still waiting for our own tree to "come on line," we decided to pick up a basket of about twelve peaches...for $8.

The skin of most of them were fairly dark in color, and the outer portion of the fruit was pretty close to ripe (although not as juicy as they should have been). However, the part of the fruit next to the pit was still green! We had a surprise last night when we realized the peaches we had just bought Sunday were starting to get overripe, and one had even developed a rotten spot. I sliced them all to put in the refrigerator (cobbler this weekend!), and the inside of the fruit was STILL green.

Any ideas as to how they were grown that caused the fruit to mature this way? Maybe I can learn something to improve the growth and fruiting of our own tree. One thing I did note was that the fruits were a shade smaller than the "Grade A" peaches you see in the supermarket. Were these the second-picked "runts" passed over by the ones destined for wholesale?

Thanks!

-Bruce

Comments (17)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES