SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve22802

An interesting observation regarding cuttings

steve22802
11 years ago

I've begun taking cuttings from my tubers for the coming season and so far I've always followed the advice I've read on several helpful web pages. On these pages they show cuttings that are sliced off very cleanly with no roots and this is how I've done all my cuttings in the past. But today i started working with one tuber that had a larger sprout than is usually recommended.. In this case the whole tuber was well below soil level so I dumped it out so that I could cut close to the tuber. After removing the potting soil from around the eye at the base of the sprout I could see that the sprout was just beginning to send out roots from the sprout stem itself. So I carefully cut the sprout away from the tuber and was able to take these just forming roots with the cutting. So that got me thinking that maybe it would be better to bury the mother tubers deeper and let the sprouts grow a little larger than is usually recommended so as to be able to cut away a sprout that already has roots. Has anyone else tried anything like this before?

Comments (22)