SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

MSU article on dealing with Japanese Beetles

franktank232
13 years ago

Just found this yesterday...lots of good info. Something i found interesting was this:

http://ipmnews.msu.edu/fruit/Fruit/tabid/123/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/2859/Controlling-Japanese-beetles-in-fruit-crops.aspx

"Soil-applied insecticides

Japanese beetles typically lay their eggs in moist grassy areas, and many fruit farms have a large amount of this highly suitable habitat. An additional approach to reducing the impact of Japanese beetles in a farm is to reduce the overall population by targeting the grub stage of this pest to reduce the abundance of beetles in the following year. If the location of high grub densities near fruit fields is known, these areas could be treated with a soil insecticide to get maximum return on this treatment. Our experience in Michigan blueberry fields has been that application of Admire (16 oz/acre) to grassy field perimeters in late June/early July reduced the abundance of beetles on bushes for the first few weeks of their flight period in the next growing season. After that, beetles flying into the area from outside swamped out this effect, so there is only a short-lived benefit from targeting the grubs in fields surrounded by infested grassy areas. However, as part of an overall IPM program to minimize the impact of Japanese beetle, this approach can help reduce the number of beetles growers must control. Platinum is another soil-applied insecticide that can be used for this grub control strategy."

That would go against the Milky Spore school of thought? I think we need to be treating large areas... We can spend trillions on wars so why not a few 100 million defeating these right here in our backyards? They are foreign invaders and i'd qualify them as terrorists.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm