SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkann

Looking for feedback for a first-year garden review

bkann
11 years ago

Hi -

I planted a garden this year for the first time in some 17 years and, generally, I couldn't be happier with the results. It consists of three 4x4' raised beds all in close proximity on a small-ish city lot and I followed the SFG method with a fair degree of attention.

I had tremendous success with several plants, including a couple of tomatoes (one in particular went nuts), celery (which I've read is hard to grow), lettuce, and poblano peppers, among others.

There were a few plants, however, that didn't yield very much and I'm looking to you for advice. I've tried to research these, but there doesn't seem to be a common thread to why these didn't produce. I'm hoping someone here has a tip or two...

1) Broccoli and Cauliflower failed miserably early on. Cauliflower never grew at all and Broccoli was a spindly little thing that I didn't get much from. It bolted pretty early, too.

2) A Red Roaster pepper and an Orange Bell pepper produced a whole two fruits each, and not until September. At the same time, my Poblano, Hungarian Wax, and Purple peppers produced like mad all season long.

3) My Tomatillo grew to be huge and flowered all season but didn't start to produce fruit until last week. This has been a long summer for MN; I don't think I'd get anything from it in a normal summer.

4) Finally, my Minnesota Midget cantaloupe looked promising but we only got four melons from it. It stopped flowering altogether around the end of July. The ones we got were great and I would love to have seen more come from that plant.

If you have any tips, I'm all ears. This is my first post here, but I've learned a ton from this site in the last year. I hope someday I can contribute back.

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments (8)