SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

guidelines for joining the secret santa junk exchange!

kirkus
16 years ago

Hi everyone! If you read my original post, I would love to organize a Secret Santa "treasure" exchange for the Garden Junk forum. IÂve seen this done on other forums, and it sounds like a LOT of fun! Enough people showed an interest, so itÂs a go!!! I want to participate in the fun too so my wife will draw the names for me! :o) For those interested in doing Secret Santa, IÂve taken your suggestions, and with the help of my wonderful wife came up with some guidelines:

1. Go to MY PAGE (above) and send me an e-mail by Friday, November 2nd. Include the following information in the e-mail you send to me:

a. "Secret Santa" in the subject line of the e-mail you send to me

b. Your Garden Web name

c. Your name and address

d. The e-mail address where I can e-mail you as to who you are to buy a gift for.

2. Find a "treasure" from a garage sale, thrift store, etc. for a Garden Web friend from "Santa". Spend $5 OR LESS on the item. (Garden Web junkers have been known to find free items!) It would be great (but not required) if the item could be used in some way outside! If you feel crafty, you could even make something! Wrap the item and send it to the personÂs name you receive. As people have said, consider the size of the item to keep shipping price down.

3. Mail the item in time for Christmas and we can start a post on the CONVERSATIONS side as to what people receive!

CanÂt wait to start hearing from people! I will be e-mailing out Secret Santa names the first week of November! You will be receiving a personÂs name and address at that time. DoesnÂt this sound like fun? Kirk

Comments (40)

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Sounds like you are as excited as the rest of us , Kirk ! LOL Is this the first "JUNQUE Exchange?" I'll be sending you my email now . C'Mon --- everybody join in !!

***** PS -- Thanks for getting this started!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Toomuchglass, It is my first Junk Treasure exchange and sounds like such FUN! I'm a garage sale junkie so this sounds like its right up my alley!!! Got your e-mail!

Everyone, I wanted to add that people could reveal their identity in a note in their package, or they can reveal it on the forum, Conversations side. Kirk

• Related Discussions

Join the Fun! Summer junk exchange Guidelines.

Q

Comments (25)
    Only two weeks left to sign up. In my first post suggesting the idea, some people said they would like to be included in the summer junk exchange but haven't sent us their information yet. No pressure... we just want to make sure we include everyone who wants to be a part of the summer junk exchange. So, sign up by May 1st...and the junking will begin! This is going to be so much FUN! Bear Hugs! Kirk and Carol
    ...See More

Anyone interested in the Secret Santa Exchange!

Q

Comments (4)
    Carmen, Go back to the main Garden Junk page and just to the right of "On Topic Discussions" you'll see "(Switch to Discussions)" or something to that effect. Click on that and you'll get to the other side of Garden Junk. Come on over!
    ...See More

Would you be interested in doing a Secret Santa gift exchange?

Q

Comments (38)
    Oh dear, Mimi. That's exactly why Kirk posted it over here first. A lot of people don't know about it. (I didn't for the longest time, but never asked!) Above the list of posts/Messages it says On-Topic Discussions [Switch to: Conversations] The conversations is a link "to the other side." I bookmark mine GJ1 and GJ2. Hope that helps, and hope to see you there. A lot of great, off topic discussions, prayer requests, help, etc. Just not the "junk" itself. Keeps this side cleaner for finding junk. Nancy
    ...See More

Additional Clarification for the Secret Santa Exchange

Q

Comments (1)
    I sent my email.Thanks Marlene.I know it's a big job.I have really loved the SS exchange.It brings the little kids in me back.LOL.
    ...See More
  • Dottie B.
    16 years ago

I would love to participate also. Sounds like loads of fun!

• craftyjanjan
    16 years ago

Kirk,
    I'm so glad I checked the forum today. This sounds like so much fun. I'm sending you my e-mail now. Thanks to you and Carol for getting this started.
    Janet

• nancyjeanmc
    16 years ago

It's a Secret Santa, so I assume we don't put our name on the package when we send it? Or does the secret part end when the gift goes out? (I never did one of these before.)
    I'm really excited about it. Thank you so much, Kirk and Carol.
    Nancy

• nancyjeanmc
    16 years ago

How annoying. Everytime I tried to click on Kirk's "My Page" I got connected to another web site. Then I realized that the ad on the top of the page for Life Insurance went beyond it's little box, so the "magic hand" would open it up if you clicked almost anywhere on Kirk's top post. I was able to do it by going to another one of Kirk's posts.

• Joyce Knight
    16 years ago

I am also a yard sale junkie. I went to about 30 garage sales just yesterday. I always find lots of great junk. I would love to join in this Secret Santa Exchange. Joyce

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone! WOW! What a response! As of today, we have over 20 people signed up for the Santa Junk exchange, and I just posted the guidelines yesterday! What great fun! I'm looking forward to more signing up...the more the merrier! Thanks for letting me organize this! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Sign me up, Kirk. Think you have all my info
    hugs, Karen

• ellens_joy
    16 years ago

Sign me up to Kirk! Sounds like lots of fun. I'm back just in time to join in. Thanks to you and Carol for starting this exchange. This is a big undertaking, but for the two of you it will turn out to be a labor of love I'm sure. Ellen

• jeannespines
    16 years ago

Got your e-mail reply, Kirk...thanks to you and Carol for taking on this project...sounds like fun! Jeanne S.

• Bright199
    16 years ago

I have sent you an email Kirk. Hope you get it.

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

OK...my email is winging it's way to you, Kirk! Sign me up!

DH is as excited about this as I am! chuckle

~Sandy~

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey everyone! I'll post updates as the Secret Santa exchange preogresses. We have over 30 people signed up! I sent an e-mail back to each person, letting them know I received the information. If you sent me your address and haven't heard back from me...let me know. I worry that some browsers (or SPAM filters) might reject my e-mail back to you. It's best to work the kinks out now so everyone receives their Secret Santa person in early November. THIS IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN! I told Carol I wish I could personally send each of you something, and she said I have enough junk in the garage to do so! HA!!!! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

I'll take one of those sweet bears, Kirk!

I have a horse...but I don't have a bear. I need a bear!

~Sandy~

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Hmmm, sounds like Carol has an ulterior plan to clean out your garage. LOL, smart woman!!!

hugs, Karen

• cait1
    16 years ago

I was a part of a mosaic bowl exchange on the mosaic forum and it was REAL EXCITING!!!
    I do want to be a part of this one too. There's not much... okay, there's NO Christmas Spirit here in Oz and last year I didn't even put up a tree!! It's difficult to feel Christmasy in the middle of summer. But I think this will help me have some Christmas Cheer. So count me in!!
    My details are on the way. Just hope no one minds snding something to Australia! It can be a tiny anything - I'm not fussy. HA!!
    The last thing I want to ask is when do we open the gifts? On Christmas day, I presume. After that we'll need a thread with pics of what we recieved and who gave us the gift. Secret Santa aint no secret anymore (Isn't that a song?? OH. No. It's 'My secret love's no secret any more!!HA!!!)
    Thanks Kirk for the idea.
    Cait

• melvie001
    16 years ago

Hi, I really would like to join in the fun of the Secret Santa exchange but since I'm a "lurker" and not a "poster" would that upset anyone???? I think I've posted a grand total of 2 times total on the entire Garden Web site but I read every single posting on Garden Junk and I feel like I know some of you personally! Kinda strange but kinda neat too!!! I will not be offended if you want to keep the SS among the regulars but I have gotten so many ideas from everyone that I feel like a part of each of you is in my garden and home!! Melvie

• debby_md_z7
    16 years ago

hi just check e-mAIL can't wait debby

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Melvie, join in the FUN! This is such a kind, caring group who always seems to welcome people with open arms! I think that's what makes this forum so special. I've only been posting since spring and now this is like family to me here! JOIN IN! :o) Kirk

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

Woo Hoo! I found you all!

I'm getting so excited! Today I found my bubble wrap so that I can use it to wrap my gift when I send it. Thanks again Kirk and Carol for organizing this.

~~Mimi

• nancyjeanmc
    16 years ago

I knew you would, Mimi. Glad Kirk posted over there so you could find us. You should go through some of the posts on this side. You get to really know everyone, and some of the stories, good and bad, are amazing.
    Nancy

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone! The deadline is 2 weeks from today... I can't wait! Carol and I have been matching up people. What a great way for GardenWeb friends to come together and get to know each other just a bit better! I am having so much fun with this! Over 40 people have signed up! Carol won't tell me who she gave my name to! HA! IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS! :o) In answer to some of your questions... I will put my return address on the package but not my name. I'll put Secret Santa as the name. Inside the present, I'm going to include a card revealing my name. You can do that or reveal your name on the forum. People can wait until Christmas or open their gift when they choose. I'm not sure I can wait until Christmas!!! :o) Like I've said, you'll be hearing from me (or Carol) in early November with your person's name. CAN'T WAIT! Again, thanks for letting us organize this. Kirk

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I said in the above follow-up that we're matching up names now but the matches change on a day-to-day basis as new names come in each day. That makes it even harder to know who I have and who gets my name!!! LOL KIrk

• Sharon4457
    16 years ago

Since there may be those who don't have digital cameras, maybe those sending and/or those receiving can take a picture and post it with the 'thank-you' so we can all see and enjoy.

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great idea, Sharon! Although I don't know who my person is yet, I have my gift ready to wrap and pack! I'm going to take a picture...just in case! Thanks for the idea! Kirk

• jaspersmommy
    16 years ago

Oh, I can't wait!!!! Sounds like fun.Been offline for awhile, and have a question... If you are crafty and have ALOT of supplies, how should I calculate the cost? I have something in mind, the item is only $4 for the main piece, and I have the paint and stuff. But when it is finished it will look much more expensive than $5. I don't want anyone to think I went over the allowance. What do you all think?

Dena

• jaspersmommy
    16 years ago

Kirk, I think you should add Carol's name to the list also, you can pick her ss. I am sure everyone would agree , that even though we usually converse with you, we feel we know her too. After all she will be helping to sort everyone out! Thanks for doing this.

Dena

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dena, If you're using supplies you already have, I think you should go with what you're thinking... I bet it's neat! I can't wait to see what people get!!! I keep saying it, but this is SO MUCH FUN! I'll mention your idea to Carol about her being added to the list. She has been working as hard as I have on organizing the list and matching people up. Great idea! If others think it's okay, I'll add her. :o) 12 more days until the deadline! Can't wait! Kirk

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

By all means...we should add Carol. She's one of us!

~Sandy~

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Yep add Carol to the list for sure!!! Kirk, one small question...are people giving you wish lists or are we winging it??? I have a few ideas in mind.

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bright, a few people have given a short list of what they like (rustic, totems, etc...). When we send out the names, I thought I'd encourage people to do a GardenWeb search of their person and see what that person posts to get ideas.

• lanaw
    16 years ago

Sent you email. I'm going scavenging first thing tomorrow.
    I'm into rustic items too.(hint, hint)
    Lana

• Bright199
    16 years ago

It's funny...I'm sitting here trying to remember my email to Kirk. Don't remember if I put a wish list or not..hee,hee!!! Yep the mind is almost gone.

• gardening_sister
    16 years ago

e-mail winging its way to you. I am new on the forum and my first time on the conversation side which i think is great. Hoping i'm lucky enough to be added to the secret santa list. fingers crossed!

• nana431965
    16 years ago

Email on it's way to you kirkus. This is really going to be fun!!
    Donna

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

HoWDY!!!
    REMEMBER.... YOU BETTER WATCH OUT...You better not POUT......... YOU BETTER NOT SHOUT... DON/T BE++++ N A U G H T Y++++ YOUR BETTER BE **N I C E.. YOU KNOW THE SANTA CLAUSE'S R COM'N TO TOWN !!!! YEAH!!
    visions of rust and sparklie things are floating in my head!!
    Oh the a n t i c i p a t i o n of it all!
    their is no way it could be a bad....thing..
    like THE MARTHA says...."IT's A GOOOOOOD THING !"
    God Bless Ya'll all!
    susiesunshine

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah! 49 people have signed up for the exchange so far!! The deadline is this Friday, November 2nd, at noon (PST). Carol and I will work on matching names Friday evening and sending them out this weekend! It's going to be soooooooooo much fun! I keep saying that! Ho HO HO! Kirk

• kelly_oh
    15 years ago

a quick question - I just want to make sure that this should be a finished item, not pieces, like cool glass pieces for a totem or anything like that?

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's up to the giver. I noticed that some people said they would love pieces for a totem. So, the gift can be finished or pieces if your person likes glass or totems. Let your imagination run wild!

Friday is the deadline! Can't wait! Bear Hugs! Kirk