SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hem_krish

Boston Fern Experiment

hem_krish
14 years ago

I've been dying to try this out and finally got the chance to do it!!! It's very difficult to grow ferns here where I stay. The extremely dry, hot air causes a lot of brown leaves in ferns. The small specimen I got from the nursery already turned half brown in a week. Misting is of no use.

I bought these polymer gel crystals (large size), initially intending to use them in addition to soil to reduce watering frequency. However, after reading reviews in this forum, I've decided against it. So I was wondering if I can use them exclusively to grow ferns. Here's what I did - soaked two tea spoons of crystals in two cups of water containing a pinch of epsom salt and a drop of fetrilizer (containing nutrients other than NPK). I then placed a layer of the gel crystals at the bottom of a glass bowl, plopped my washed fern specimen on top of it and covered it with another layer of crystals. I'm hoping that these crystals create more humidity around the fern and help it grow. I keep the fern in bright indirect sunlight as the crystals shouldnt be exposed to the sun.

Has anyone tried this kind of thing before? Should it technically work?

Hemant

Comments (11)