SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luna_llena_feliz

Good news ... Bob is home!

luna_llena_feliz
15 years ago

They sure were keeping us on pins and needles at the hospital this weekend. They were talking about him coming home today but wouldn't say anything definite. So I got up this morning not sure what to do. I knew if I called in to say I wasn't coming to work, they would have hunted me down and lynched me because one co-worker was on vacation and I do her job when she is gone. So Bob and I kept calling each other throughout the day.

They didn't want to send Bob to a nursing home unless he could prove he was unable to get out of bed without the rails on the sides. He managed to roll over so that ended that. I went to pick him up after work.

I was surprised that he made it up the $#@& 16 stairs we have from the underground garage. He got up the stairs better than I did! But then my fibro has been really horrible these past few days.

He is doing well. He had a sandwich and is eating some chili right now. I picked up his 9 prescriptions at the pharmacy tonight so he is all set.

We still don't know about the cancer. He is supposed to make an appointment with the doctor that did the colon surgery in 2 weeks. He is supposed to go for blood tests this week and make an appointment with his primary care physician too.

I forgot to ask if he was able to drive for a while or not. They didn't say anything when we were leaving. So I might have to take off from work to chauffeur him around.

It is just great to have him home. The first thing he did was tighten up the toilet seat. lol! He is my wonderful handyman even when he is recovering from surgery!

Thank you all for your prayers, encouragement and support! I know you all played a big part in his recovery. Please keep up those prayers that he is cancer free.

Big hugs to you all!

Kathy aka Luna

Comments (27)

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Luna - Oh, I am so happy to hear this news! There is nothing, nothing... more healing than being able to come home...you cannot "rest" in the hospital...now Bob can "heal" at home! Praise God & God bless! Jeanne S.
    p.s. But that doesn't mean to go on "overload!" Take it slow...BOTH of you...let time heal!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

GREAT NEWS. And LISTEN to Mother Jeanne's post, she's a smart woman for sure!!!
    When things settle down, maybe you and Bob ought to see about a place with NO stairs in your future. I don't know how you do them with Fibro in the first place. How awful for you. Bless Bob's heart, fixing a toilet soon as he was out of a hospital bed. What a guy!!!!
    Prayers will not stop till he and you are back to your 'normal' tho.

hugs, Karen

• Related Discussions

Bob is home from hospital

Q

Comments (21)
    I must have missed your previous posts Linda but I'm glad Bob is home and on the mend. My Mum has just spent two weeks in hospital with a very bad lung infection. It took until the last day to diagnose it as her chest x-rays were showing that her lungs were clear! She's also very weak and really only came home because the Junior Doctors were going on strike and they had to clear some of the hospital beds.
    ...See More

Building a new home. Need Good quality windows

Q

Comments (22)
    my clients have selected ...Andersen PVC clad Woodwright Against your better judgement?? The only manufacturer I've bought more than one set of windows from now makes only vinyl and vinyl clad. (Used to make aluminum clad.) The last custom I built, the owners went vinyl. Couldn't resist the savings. (And I learned my opinion when it differed from theirs was not worth expressing.) What will happen to the probably finger-jointed wood frames once the "maintenance free" vinyl goes brittle?
    ...See More

Need to choose new exterior house paint colors - will this look good?

Q

Comments (5)
    I agree with Lori. It's best to pick from all the colors already in your brick -and there are many. It looks like that's what they did when they chose colors the last time, although I wouldn't have favored the orange so much. There are lots of pretty shades of red in the bricks you could choose for you door, several to choose from undo the window. The wine looks like a mis-match in my opinion. I'm not big on paint colors but my description of paint I would choose would be a rustic red.
    ...See More

Good Idea to Paint Builder Cabinets after Closing in New Build Home?

Q

Comments (30)
    On the topic of cabinet finish.. as many stated the finish from the manufacturer will far surpass an onsite paint job. It is true you seem to save if you paint yourselves, but through the upgrade option, do you also get internal upgrades? Is all the hardware soft close (hinges and drawers) Is your overlay a full or standard? Look up cabinet construction Another question -if you switched out cabinets after- is the countertop. If you plan on a solid surface, removing cabinets to switch out after the fact could be VERY expensive... 1- can the stone be salvaged, 2-If not you will have the cost of a whole new countertop! I also considered doing things to the kitchen after we moved in and opted out of that.. Boy was I glad. Life moves fast and when you move in you really want to move in. I'd go with builder and what you really want and avoid all the small surprises that will arise doing work after the fact. Good luck in your process!!
    ...See More
  • gingerbunnies
    15 years ago

I am soo glad Bob was able to make it home today. You both take it easy for a while ok? I will continue to say prayers for yall

• Bright199
    15 years ago

God answers prayers for sure!!! Girl you need to install an elevator!!! I hear they are cheaper than you think. Please take care and neither one of you over do it.

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

P R A I S E ~~~~ G O D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh me.... this is GRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT NEWS ! ! ! !
    Thanks so much for keeping us updated !!!!
    & See
    Ms Jeanne is right... being home is HEALING....
    get him watching some "FUNNY MOVIES!!!" Laughter is
    healing for the soul !!!! and You two get some
    Chinese Carry Out & Enjoy yourselves ! ! !
    Love Ya !
    Prayers & Hugs for ((((((((((((((YOU)))))))))))))))
    Ms Kathy...... we want you to take care of you toooooo!!
    GOD BLESS !
    Your GJ Friend!
    SusieSunshine

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Oh, Kathy, I'm tickled pink by your good news of Bob being home! I kept thinking about him while I was slaving in the yard over the weekend. (I was too dirty to use the computer...and later...too tired!)

God bless his heart...fixing the toilet seat as soon as he came home!! (Sure do wish they'd make those things to stay tight for more than a few days!!) Bob's supposed to be resting...don't let him undo what has been done!

Praying still for Bob's complete recovery!!

God bless you both!

~Sandy~

• kirkus
    15 years ago

YAHOOOOOOOOOOO! Now you both take it easy! I'm glad he has you as his nurse! Keep him in line! LOL Bear Hugs! Kirk

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Thank you, Father God!!
    Wonderful blessed news!
    God is alive and healing people!

Prayer is still the best medicine and you both have such great friends here that have been touched by all of this. God bless all of your prayer warriors and you too Kathy for never giving up. It had to be so hard for you to cope with all of this. Tell Bob our prayers will continue for him for a complete clean bill of health. You are very blessed to have each other, a match made in heaven!!Praise God!
    blessings-Sherri

• akup_a
    15 years ago

Bob is home!!!! Bob is home!!!!! Bob is home!!!
    I was sitting on the deck & our state bird, the Texas mocking bird, was singing your song! I sang right along with him. off key, but the blessing was there.
    So glad to hear that he's home and continue prayers for a full recovery.
    Vickie

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

I am glad Bob is home and with you. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers for a clean bill of health!!!!

• nonacook
    15 years ago

I. too. am glad that your Bob is home!
    He sounds like my DH was, doing something that needed to be done even after being in the hospital! Hope and pray that things go Right for the 2 of you now.

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Kathy,

Thinking about you and Bob and praying for a good outcome to his surgery.

I wish for God's blessings on both of you!

{{gwi:76362}}

~Sandy~

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just a short update on my Bob. He is improving with each day. I took him for blood tests on Thursday and he sees his regular doctor on Tuesday. Still no word on the cancer issue. I will have to call his surgeon on Monday. I didn't have his full name and the nurse kept referring to him as Dr. Chang. I finally found his business card between some pages of Bob's hospital literature and it is spelled Chiang. I will have to make an appointment with him for Bob since I seem to be Bob's administrative assistant. Good thing I have about 25 years of experience at it! lol!

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and prayers. You have all lifted our spirits and our hopes! I will keep you all updated on Bob's health so you can keep tabs on how well those prayers are working!

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

I'm so glad to hear Bob is much better, and hope all is still going well for the both of you.

• gingerbunnies
    15 years ago

I was just wondering how ya'll were doing today?

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

Me 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Howdy do..... Ms Kathy ? ? ?
    What's up ? ! ?
    Let us hear from you..........!!!!!

you are always in our prayers... Have you been sniffing any glue lately.... You know I mean have you been "JUNKING ~ CREATING !!!?" doing what you do BEST !!! Well... we are "THINK'N 'Bout Ya'll & Praying for YA'LL !!" God Bless ! SusieSunshine
  • luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bob seems to have had a setback. I'm a bit unnerved because I can't get anyone to refer him to an oncologist. None of his doctors will talk to me (thanks HIPAA!) and he didn't want to go to the oncologist his primary care physician would have referred him to (he is at a hospital that Bob now has an aversion to). Bob won't make any of his own phone calls or attempt to get his own records. He isn't eating much and is getting thinner. I am just about at my wits end. I keep asking him if I should take him to the hospital and he just says, "I don't know." I'm not sure what I am supposed to do about that. Do I drag him to the hospital? Do I call paramedics who he would probably turn away when they arrive?

I have seriously thought of asking my doctor to put me in a psycho ward somewhere. I am not a good at dealing with people who won't help themselves. My mother was like that and if she hadn't had a stroke and ended up in a nursing home, I would be in a rubber room somewhere. I don't know what it is. I just freak out and pretty much lose my mind. Probably the fact that I can't even take care of myself enters into the stress factor too. So if you don't see me for a long, long time it is because I am mumbling a mantra that only I can understand while rocking myself back and forth on the floor of a padded room.

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Oh, Kathy...I'm absolutely beside myself over your post!! I dearly wish I lived near you...I don't even know where it is that you live...I would be there in a flash!

If only you had power of attorney...or whatever it's called when you can make medical decisions for someone.

This stupid privacy crap could well end up being Bob's downfall at this rate! Who has the right to make medical decisions for him? Anyone?

I'm so upset about this whole mess! I wish I could advise you on how best to deal with this situation, but I honestly have no idea. I hope someone here has ideas for you.

I'm not only worried about Bob...I'm worried about you having to deal with all of this. You sound so depressed and desperate. This is such a difficult time for you, and you're trying so hard. Please don't give up!

I've learned during my 66 years that things always work out for the best in the long run. No matter how bleak things look at the time...they always get better...and trust me when I say...I have had a very...shall we say "interesting" life...what with my mother committing suicide when I was very small; my father being too ill to raise me and my brother which resulted in our being raised by his parents; being divorced from the father of my four daughters, a cop who ran on me and hit me, when they were very young; raising the girls alone for almost 10 years; and then marrying a man who was raising his two sons, one of which I've had all kinds of problems with for 28 years; and lots and lots in between, including my own serious health problems. It has been difficult and very painful (in more ways than one), but things have always turned around and gotten better...usually at the point I have been ready to give up. I can honestly say...in spite of all the trouble...I've had a good life and learned a lot. It all just made me stronger!

Please do not give up! Things will turn around and get better. The difficult part for us is understanding that things don't happen in "our time"...they happen when God is ready for them to happen...in "His time"!

Please keep the faith!

Love, Sandy

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Keep talking to Bob ... did his primary physician give him the results on Tues? If he needs to see an oncologist, then I hope Bob will go to the one recommended...keep talking. Take a deep breath, Kathy...then take another. Keep communicating. You are stronger than you think. Ask for HELP. Prayers continue coming your way. Jeanne S.

• gingerbunnies
    15 years ago

I am so sorry to hear that Bob hasnt been doing well. I am saying prayers here for both of you. I hope he will let you take him to the doctor soon and they can nip any health issues early on

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Oh damn, Kathy. I just now read this post and am so worried about you both. Sounds like Bob will have to be forced to go to hospital or doctor or whatever. And to know all this is falling on your shoulders is really terrible. I hope and pray you get help. Please remember you can call me anytime day or night.
    Meanwhile, hold on to all of us here as much as you can.

If you want to go running down the street screaming, I'll go run (limp in our case) along with you!
    hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the latest on my Bob ... on Monday (7/21) his colon surgeon finally came back from vacation. My freaking out while talking to his office staff must have triggered his phone call to Bob. He told him the pathology tests came back fine and they got all the cancer. Woo-hoo! That was a major weight off of both our minds.

On Wednesday, Bob called me at work to tell me he had diarrhea and it was very dark in color. He had been complaining about soreness where his one colon surgery incision was so my first thought was that he had internal bleeding. I told him to call his surgeon to see what he recommended. He told Bob to go back to the hospital where he had the surgery as an outpatient to see what was wrong. I rushed home and took him to the hospital.

They found out he was dehydrated and his iron pills (to help him get over his anemia from the colorectal cancer) was making his stool dark. So they pumped him with fluids, got his blood pressure stablized and told him all his blood tests came back fine. *sigh*

Today I took him to his primary care physician and he is working with Bob to get his diabetes under control now. I keep telling Bob that he has to eat a number of small meals throughout the day rather than 2 or 3 bigger meals. When I brought it up at the doctor's, Bob agreed with me but then looked sheepish when I said, "Well then, why don't you do it?" The doctor started laughing.

The doctor went through all of Bob's medication that he is on after the surgeries and told him not to take his diuretics any more. He prescribed a new diabetes medication for him since the one he is on doesn't seem to be helping much. If this doesn't work, Bob will need to go on insulin.

Bob has been much better since he got the news of the pathology report. He has apologized for being difficult. And I am relieved that his health seems to be under control now.

I have to credit so many of the prayers said by you folks with helping him to recover. It certainly is a testament to God that (1) Bob had the heart attack which put him in the hospital so that (2) his cancer was detected and taken care of in time. Thank you so much for all your help, because you indeed did help in making his recovery possible!

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Thank you, luna, for the update on Bob ...GREAT NEWS!
    And you are welcome...we all need all the postive thoughts and prayers that come our way...especially in times like you and Bob have been through. Hope the new med works...if not, then the insulin is available. Take good care of yourself and thanks for sharing the pics on conversation side for our "Garden Junk Swingers!" Jeanne S.

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Awesome news!

I couldn't be happier for you both!

God is good!

~Sandy~

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

I actually got CHILLS reading this good news. Can one "overdose" on HAPPY? LOL
    Gosh, what a huge relief about everything. And Bob sure got checked out thoroughly it sounds like.

Now dear Kathy, take a DEEP breath, relax, and try to get some real rest. By the way, I LOVED Bob's swinger photo!

heartfelt hugs,
    Karen

• gingerbunnies
    15 years ago

that is such great news. I have been wondering how you two were doing.

• nonacook
    15 years ago

Great news! Glad you updated for us!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert