SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe1980_gw

Birds in the veggie garden

Joe1980
12 years ago

Ok, I have to start up this topic to see what everyone thinks about birds, and what they do if birds become a problem. My situation is that I like birds. I have always had bird feeders up, as well as a bird bath. I also have always looked at birds as beneficial because they eat insects. Well, this year I started a vegetable garden, and figured the birds would be beneficial, because they'd eat the bad insects in my garden. Well, they seem to like my plants more, especially seedlings. I build makeshift lean-tos out of chicken wire to protect seedlings, but they find ways to squeeze in somehow in order to eat the seedlings. I also see them tearing chunks out of the fully grown, mature leaves of zucchini and cucumber plants.

So with that said, what do I do now? I'm not talking about 2 or 3 birds, I am talking about big flocks, sometimes 2 dozen or so birds; a mixture of house sparrows and house finches. I read that birds won't put themselves in situations where they'll be trapped in the events of emergencies. This is not the case, because like I said, they squeeze under my fencing to get at seedlings, and if I walk over to the garden, they get scared and bounce all around under the fence....trapped. I plan to build something a lot better then make-shift lean-tos out of PVC pipe and fencing. Basically a row cover made of fence, one that will eliminate gaps for them to squeeze through. That'll help with my seedlings, but what about my mature plants like cukes? How in the world am I going to protect a huge trellised vine? If I let them have at it, they rip the leaves to shreds. Currently I have to keep scaring them away, but I'd like something that doesn't make me look like the weird guy that runs after the birds like a dope. I also don't know it I want them to go completely away either, because then who's gonna eat the bugs??

Anyone else have any bird problems, and/or soultions for that matter?

Joe

Comments (5)