SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justaguy2

In praise of birds

justaguy2
16 years ago

I know many gardeners use bird netting to protect certain crops and find them a nuisance, but this post is to sing the praises of birds.

For the past few years I have been trying to attract more birds to my yard for natural insect control.

Every year I get plagued by Japanese beetles, mexican bean beetles and the awful cucumber beetles.

I have put out various bird feeders and noticed this attracts the birds, but mainly to the feeder and not to the gardens where I wanted them.

I have tried spreading cracked corn and while this attracts the birds in droves it also results in corn sprouting in the garden.

I added a bird bath and this seems to get a lot of use.

I used to bury new material in the compost pile and recently started just tossing it on top and I noticed a significant finch/sparrow population feasting on the compost pile.

This year I have been relatively unbothered by pests. The JB have arrived and I do daily hand picking, but I have only seen one mexican bean beetle and 2 cucumber beetles to date.

What has changed is that every time I walk outside 30 or more sparrows fly up out of my garden. They just congregate their in droves and since they eat seeds and bugs and there are no seeds in my garden for them to eat that means they are there for a bug feast.

Perhaps that is why I am not seeing the usual high numbers of mexican bean beetles and cuke beetles and even the japanese beetles aren't present in enough numbers to worry about.

I really think the addition of the bird bath and leaving new material on top of the compost pile has resulted in the dramatic increase in birds and the dramatic decrease in the need for pest patrols on my part.

Yes, I lose some grapes and blueberries to the birds and I do have some weeds introduced by the birds pooping undigested seeds, but small price to pay for all the work they do for me!

I think these birds are my new best friends.

Comments (13)