SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luna_llena_feliz

My Mini Vacation in the Hospital

luna_llena_feliz
14 years ago

For the past month, I have been totally overwhelmed at work. I never seem to be able to get caught up. Just when I think I'm on the brink of getting caught up, I get a pile of work dumped on my desk. Not fun when you are always in pain (fibromyalgia) and constantly tired (chronic fatigue syndrome). Sometimes I had to go to the bathroom to have a good cry or I'd cry my eyes out in the car during my lunch time.

I think it caught up with me on Tuesday. I was doing well at work because it seemed like I finally had some time to get caught up. Then the piles started coming, one after another. And everyone wants everything RIGHT NOW! Meanwhile the phone is ringing and people come in to ask me questions.

I felt a tightness in my chest, trouble breathing and my left arm went numb. It happens all the time when I have an anxiety attack. But lately I have been feeling dizzy and light headed too. So I called the doctor's office to make an appointment. The receptionist immediately transferred me to the nurse who told me she would call me back after talking to my doctor. When she called back, she told me he thought I should go to the ER.

I was very tempted to skip it. I've had these episodes before and lived to tell about it. All except the dizziness that is. So I thought I better be safe than sorry and drove myself to the hospital my doctor is affiliated with across town.

My blood pressure was something like 195/105. It has never been high before so that was a shocker. They did an EKG, took some blood tests (apparently their is an enzyme that will indicate heart problems) and I sucked on nitroglycerine tablets. I think being away from work more than anything made me feel better. lol! My tests were fine but they wanted to have me stay overnight.

So I spent Tuesday night in the hospital. First time since I was a baby. On Wednesday, I had a stress test that truly lived up to its name! Instead of putting me on a treadmill, they had me lie on my side and injected me with something that made my heart race a mile a minute. While this is going on, they are doing an ultrasound on my heart.

Then I had trouble breathing because I don't do well lying prone. I always have trouble breathing even on my side. The girl doing the ultrasound keeps telling me to take deep breaths. I was lucky if I could take shallow ones! Any way, I lived through the test which I guess means my heart is fine.

They really have no idea what the problem was. My doctor seems to think it is something like acid reflux because I told him I've been burping like crazy lately. But I know it wasn't heartburn. He did prescribe some high blood pressure meds which isn't surprising since my mom developed high blood pressure when she went through menopause. That could explain the light heatedness.

So hopefully this cocktail of meds and less stress at work will do the trick. I was so happy that I was able to get caught up today.

I don't have cable at home so I was getting my full of HGTV at the hospital and enjoying room service. I had a nice private room and my own bathroom. I was thinking, I could really get used to this. he-he So I think of it more as a mini vacation than a trip to the ER. Too bad it will probably cost me as much as a week at a nice hotel.

I thought I posted something other than on Kirk's birthday message about my little vacation but apparently I didn't. lol! Thanks to those of you who expressed your concern!

(Geez, I didn't realize until I previewed this message that it is the length of the Bible!)

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets