SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canuckistani

What weed is this?

canuckistani
14 years ago

I'm still pretty new to this and thought it might be useful for me and other newbs to have a weed identification thread. Would appreciate if the oldtimers can identify the following:

99% certain the first pic is common purslane and the second is lamb's quarters, anyone want to verify?

{{gwi:105007}}

{{gwi:105008}}

Is this pigweed? Similar to lamb's quarters? I sometimes see people clump the two together..

{{gwi:105009}}

Plantain?

{{gwi:105010}}

Mullein?

{{gwi:105011}}

?

{{gwi:105012}}

?

{{gwi:105013}}

Comments (25)

• bruce2288
    14 years ago

You got the first 4 right i think. The last may be ragweed. Where are you it looks like home.

• canuckistani
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm just north of Toronto.

Is pigweed the same thing as lamb's quarter??

Any suggestions from people on how best to deal with crabgrass?

• DrHorticulture_
    14 years ago

Pigweed and LQ are not the same but they are related. Both are in the Amaranthaceae. Both are edible.

• euarto_gullible
    14 years ago

The first 5 are correct. 6 is common groundsel, and 7 is common ragweed.

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

Looks like my backyard! :-)
    Thanks for the ID, I didn't know that was lamb's quarters (I just know I've pulled lots of it...)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

BTW, purslane is one of the healthiest plants in your garden, very high in Omega 3 fatty acids. I add it to salads all summer long. You eat the leaves and stems.

• makete
    14 years ago

Holy cow that looks like here in the U.P. to me. Always wondered what that first plant was as we have a ton and a half here growing in the garden. Looks like a succlent type plant to me, and viny. You say people eat this plant? Holy cow, wonders never cease.

• jekyll
    14 years ago

There are quite a few weeds that are good to eat and an excellent addition to the usual lettuce in salad. Purslane and lamb's quarters are a couple that I'm very fond of and I deliberately let them seed so I have them to eat.

I'm a great fan of eating weeds, but I feel like I should add the obligatory safety message. If you plan to try it, you need to be confident that you have your identification correct, and that the plant really is edible. A work colleague of mine nearly lost a houseguest who couldn't tell the difference between foxglove and comfrey. A friend's son (pre-school) mixed up parsley and hemlock (Conium, not the tree). Both were potentially fatal identification errors, although both did survive.

Commonsense caution aside, it's seems a shame to waste those lovely free vegetables that come up with no effort from the gardener! The lamb's quarters looks like it is the perfect size to eat (not so good when it is big).

By the way, do you know that there is a "name that plant" forum here? If you get stuck on anything, it's worth trying there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name that plant forum.

• canuckistani
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info folks!

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    14 years ago

Lamb's quarter is sometimes called pigweed around here...also goosefoot. I was recently looking for plants with farm related names and this one could have been used under any of these names! I even transplanted it (LOL) to a special barnyard themed garden where the wild rabbits discovered it and chewed it to the ground. Why don't the bunnies eat the weeds I don't want? I generally use the pigweed name for the plant you show as pigweed...often expanding the name to redroot pigweed.

• susancol
    14 years ago

Since you mentioned it. It IS VERY important you know what weeds you're eating. Hemlock was mentioned and who realized how common it is. I discovered it grows in my very own back yard when my dog ate a bunch of it and got very very sick.

Here's a picture of it. DO NOT EAT this one!
    {{gwi:105014}}Susan

• mike1970
    14 years ago

When did you sneak into my garden to take those pictures? ;) Those weeds are all over Wisconsin. Good to know what I'm pulling up and what could be eaten in a pinch.

Mike

• canuckistani
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anyone know what this weed is?

{{gwi:105015}}

Is it edible?

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

A word to all who have purslane in your garden. When you pull it discard it immediately. Never leave it laying there if you want to get rid of it. It will root from the least little piece left on the ground

• canuckistani
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anyone know what the last weed is?

• spaghetina
    14 years ago

A word to all who have purslane in your garden. When you pull it discard it immediately. Never leave it laying there if you want to get rid of it. It will root from the least little piece left on the ground

That's exactly what happened to me, except that I wanted it to root because I'd like to eat it. I yanked some up, and didn't get a single bit of the roots. On a whim, I decided to toss it into an old nursery pot filled with crappy MG Garden Soil and give it a little water. It's been a week and a half now, and it's rooted down into the pot and started throwing off little shoots. The same pot was the recipient of probably thousands of purslane seeds also (gonna have to remember not to throw that soil anywhere in my yard once I want to get rid of it, lol), none of which seem to have germinated though. I guess it prefers dry, inhospitable cracks, rather than watered, moist, comfy (albeit crappy) soil.

Since I had more coming up through the cracks, I yanked off another chunk yesterday, and am hoping it hurries up and roots so I can make myself a small purslane salad before summer's up.

• canuckistani
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anyone know what this one is?

{{gwi:105016}}

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

I thought what you are calling hemlock, I was told is wild carrot. Is this another commom name or something different? Thanks

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    14 years ago

Red root pigweed and chickweed (maybe mouse eared chickweed) would be my names for your last two pictured weeds. We have alot of the same weeds here.

gardener 1908...wild carrot, also known as Queen Anne's Lace, is related to and looks alot like water hemlock and poison hemlock (both are very dangerous). Check out several ID books and sites to see the small differences between them. Don't ever eat anything unless you are absolutely sure of the ID.

• canuckistani
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks NG,

Are red root pigweed and this type of chickweed edible?

• corapegia
    14 years ago

Don't know about the pigweed (though I believe it is an amaranth so might be edible) but the chickweed is good in salads. I usually use it early spring along with other volunteer salad greens. It can get out of hand so best to pull most of it before it seeds. Can't remember which company (maybe Johnny's) sells seed for it.

• tedposey
    14 years ago

I too, said Queen Ann's Lace the moment I saw that hemlock picture. Good I never tried eating it. Lol
    That plant you're calling chickweed looks more like watercress to me than chickweed. both are edible with the cress being mildly spicy.
    When I was a kid my mother and I, in early spring, used to take a paper sack ( We called it a poke) and go all over the farm picking lambs quarters, dandelion and poke weed along fence rows and field edges for early boiled greens. Delicious

• carol_in_california
    14 years ago

Last summer my nine year old grandniece came to visit for a week.
    We were in the garden and came upon some purslane. I asked her if she wanted to try some....and I ate some. She liked it and we picked some for dinner.
    Later, while cooking dinner, I had some nopales as a snack.
    DGN wanted to try some....asked what it was. I told her it was cactus.
    Later, at bedtime, she became very homesick and called her mom. She wanted her mom to come get her because I was making her eat weeds and cactus.
    We laugh about it now but she did decline a visit this summer.

• ancfan
    14 years ago

the one plantis mullein, really good for sour throats, coughing, etc, I pick every year for the cold season. Make a tea out of it just make sure you strain it good, I like it with honey and lemon

• siambasil
    14 years ago

The last one looks like Tansy.It gets bright yellow flowers and is found in the pasture.Cows will eat it.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!