SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnygurl

Coffee tree pruning

bunnygurl
14 years ago

So I have a Coffea arabica (Coffee Tree) that was lush and a beautiful green, until I potted it up from a 4in pot to a 6in pot. After I potted it, its lower leaves began to yellow and drop, but the top new growth was fine.

So details/question:

I changed the soil from what it originally came in from the nursery (bought it in Feb last year) to a 60% regular bagged soil (I'm sure there's better but this works for me) and 40% perlite. I've read that some plants are sensitive to perlite. Is this plant one of them? Were the old leaves just sensitive to the new perlite so they dropped?

Secondly, now it has a large bare spot in the middle, actually pretty much from the base of the plant to 3/4 of the way up where the new growth is (lush and beautifully green). So I wanted to cut it way back into the bare part, but I love this plant and don't want it to stay bare 'cause it doesn't back bud. Does it? Will it resprout like, for example, a Schefflera?

Thanks for any and all help. Always much appreciated. Picture can be made available if it would help.

Comments (14)