SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summerstar_gw

Need Advice! Flea Beatles Everywhere!

summerstar
14 years ago

This year has been the first year I haven't had to spray for Japanese Beetles. Not even once! Happily I think they all drowned in the heavy rains this spring. However . . .

Since mid-June, I've been dealing with tiny black, hopping Flea Beatles on many plants, including annuals, Lavender, green beans, beet leaves, and my precious leafy garden plants. My perennials seem free of them, but surprisingly they're even putting tiny holes in many common garden weeds. I've been using Sevin as a spray with a certain amount of success, but new generations keep coming back. I don't harvest till product literature says its okay. I like to be as organic as I possible, but if plants are going to die, I'll resort to strong measures.

My arugula self-seeded very well, but now those #!?&*$(*>@% Flea Beatles have put holes in every tender arugula leaf. I've been harvesting and washing the leaves, but they don't look very appetizing. The plants are still small; around four/five inches high. I wondered if I would cut down the plants leaving just a few of the newest leaves, would that stimulate new growth? That would give me a new start and I would control the problem most closely. What do you think?

Comment (1)