SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ditnc

Sweet peppers are HOT! Why?

ditnc
9 years ago

I had a scary experience today. I picked some red peppers from my plant which I thought was a Corni di Toro. But the peppers looked like big Lipsticks, which I had also planted, so I thought I must have been confused about which plant was which.

I cut the pepper open, and started pulling the ribs off with my fingers. All of a sudden, I started coughing uncontrollably, and ended up gasping for air. I couldn't get any air into my lungs. I thought maybe I was having a heart attack or allergic reaction, but I'm not allergic to peppers! It was terrifying and I was thinking I needed 911. But thankfully, I started slowly getting more air in.

After calming down, I went back to the pepper, cut it up, threw it into the frying pan, and got a little chokey again. I then connected the pepper to the coughing!

I tasted a tiny bite and felt the burn. The oil must have been on the knife, too, because although I rinsed it, when I cut a slice of mozzarella, it was hot.

So apparently, the Lipstick pepper was not a Lipstick! But I am sure I have eaten other SWEET peppers from that plant. I remember thinking they weren't all that sweet, but they were not hot.

So with that long preface, what's happened? This plant is from seed SAVED from last year's peppers. The only hot pepper I grew last year was jalapeno (yes, nearby). But today's pepper was much much hotter than a jalapeno.

Questions:

1. Would a Lipstick or Corni di Toro cross with another pepper from a neighbor perhaps? I'm wondering if someone in the neighborhood grew habaneros and this may be the product.

2. If the seed is hybrid, is it possible that different peppers from a single plant could have various different flavors?

3. Is all the saved seed bad or can it vary seed by seed?

4. How do you save seed if you live in a suburb near neighbors and/or grow several pepper varieties? I thought being "heirloom" meant it wouldn't cross with other plants - guess I was wrong...

TIA.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville