SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Really getting discouraged with plums

When I was a kid in upstate NY near Rochester in the 60's, we had a couple of prune plums on opposite sides of the country property. One was yellow skinned with a green interior, the other was purple skinned. They were always jam-packed with plums. I always wanted to have plum trees after that.

Fast forward to today and I have 4 plum trees planted 3-4 years ago and nary a plum ever. Two, I purchased from St. Lawrence Nurseries--planted by my apple orchard in PA--and the other 2 were from Raintree here. I cannot recall the exact varieties- I think Toka and La Crescent in PA, and a Green Gage plus ? here--but I did look up which types would be good to plant together for increasing pollination chances.

Here in MD, one tree started bloom about a week earlier than the other. I stood and watched bees and small flies on the blossoms. The other tree was in bloom, but I didn't see any on it. The tree with the bees has ZERO fruit set. The other tree has maybe 7 green plumlets.

What gives? Is there any kind of universal pollinizer plum for the European plums? Does it make a difference if one started blooming a tad earlier? What's the lowest temperature plum blossoms can stand without fruit set being affected? We never did anything special to the NY plum trees and they were champs at production so I don't get why my 4 are so temperamental.

Comments (9)