SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
axel_hb

Anise/Fennel/licorice flavored apples

Axel
13 years ago

Does anyone have a good recommendation for anise/fennel/licorice flavored apple varieties. To my great disappointment, the "Fenouillet gris" I grafted last year seems to be slow to take off this year due to a lack of chill. I know this because another "fenouillet gris" graft I did this year in a colder part (shaded all Winter) of the garden is taking off like gangbusters, the wood was in the fridge for quite a long time.

I already have Dr. Mathews and Ellison's orange. But the fenouillet gris was supposed to be the strongest anise flavored apple. I was really looking forward to it. I've heard that the anise flavor often doesn't materialize in Ellison's orange.

It's strange how out of so many apple varieties I grow, only a handful don't seem to get enough chill here (we get about 800 hours here), and almost all of them are French. There is not a single German, Japanese, Chinese, Austrian, English or Swiss variety that I grow that has shown any problems with not enough chill. The only exception is Quebec Belle (almost French) and Sensacion from Spain.

Comments (9)