SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

graft over or remove peach tree

lycheeluva
12 years ago

i have this peach tree that has been nothing but trouble- dont know the variety- it was the fruit tree i ever bought and i didnt know anything about fruit trees. i bought it from a local garden center and it didnt have a label. it got really bad peach leaf curl every year for the first 3 years i had it till i learned how to treat the disease but even with autumn and early spring copper sprays (kocide) it still had a moderate amount of peach leaf curl. what really hammers the tree however is a fungus/bacteria that shows itself as purple spots on almost every leaf followed by mass defolliations till there is only about a third of the leaves left. i believe that tree is also the source of infecton of my other stone fruit trees although they dont get it as bad. i managed to get a decent crop last year despite the fungus/bacteria but this spring there were hardly any blossoms. besides for the kocide, after shuck split i sprayed montomery fungi fighter, daconill and captan, as well as a tiny bit if kocide for good measure. i did two sprays following shuck split, but over the last 10 days, the tree has gotten the purple spots (not peachleaf curl) and then defoliated. I have had it with this tree. good riddance.

so i would like to leave the tree in the ground if possible, and graft it over with some plums, peaches and nectarines, but im worried that the disease might remain in the trunk and the major scaffold branches and travel into the new graft shoots that grow. will it? can i graft this tree over or do i need to uproot it?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting