SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
use2bcapecodr

Memorable birthday surprises...

use2bcapecodr
15 years ago

My 67th birthday certainly ended up being a whole lot more than just a lunch!

My middle daughter, the only one of the four who wasn't working on Friday, asked me to go to lunch with her. I love spending time with her. She picked me up, and I asked her where we were going. She said it was a surprise. She didn't go the way we usually go...where there are a lot of restaurants close by...but got on the expressway. Jokingly I said, "You're taking me to "the home", aren't you! (This is a running joke around here!) Gaile said, "Well...yes...this is the only way we figured we could get you there!" I thought maybe she was going to a restaurant near her home, but she just kept on going. I said, "You really ARE taking me to the home, aren't you!! If I had known, I would have at least packed my toothbrush!" She said, "That's okay, Mom. It's all taken care of!"

She just kept on driving, and we ended up in downtown Toledo at Tony Packo's At The Park. (You may remember the original Tony Packo's Restaurant being made famous by Jamie Farr on M*A*S*H! This is a new one right by the ball park.)

When we went inside, DH was sitting in the foyer. That was certainly a surprise, as he works a couple of towns away.

The three of us had a nice lunch, and when we left, Jim told us to follow him. He drove in a totally unexpected direction, and we ended up at the beautiful, new Glass Pavilion at the Toledo Museum of Art. (It is an excellent museum...well known for it's glass displays. Libby Glass is also located in Toledo.) Jim knew I wanted to see the new Pavilion...so this was the next surprise.

Yet another surprise...I found out there was going to be a glass blowing demonstration...which Jim also knew I wanted to see.

We walked around for almost an hour admiring the exceptional glass displays. Gaile and I found a great dress, but thought it might be a tad too stiff to wear!

{{gwi:76290}}

Then...on to the glass blowing demonstration. It was very interesting, especially when the glass the artist was working on all of a sudden turned from hot orange (And I DO mean HOT!!) to COBALT BLUE!! My favorite color!! When it started to take shape, I whispered to Jim, "Oh...I want that!" He said, "Oh, you do do you!"

{{gwi:76292}}

{{gwi:76294}}

{{gwi:76297}}

A couple of minutes later, the artist announced to everyone that this piece was being created especially for ME!!!! Dang...I started to cry!! What a lovely surprise!!!!

{{gwi:76299}}

The difficult part of this was having to wait for two days to get my bowl. It had to be put in a special "box" to cool down very slowly, or it would crack and be trash.

Friday night, on top of all this excitement, we went to dinner with friends.

Saturday, we went junking and to a huge antique mall out of town. Found some great things! On Sunday, we went back to the art museum to pick up the beautiful bowl.

{{gwi:76300}}

Monday, I was whipped...but happy!! It was a very exciting birthday full of wonderful surprises!! I was totally blind-sided by this, as Jim usually gives me money and tells me to pick something out for myself. This certainly was a whole lot more fun!! LOL

~Sandy~

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!