SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smintheus

Pest (eggs) on grape vines - help identify

smintheus
16 years ago

The other day some translucent eggs appeared on my grape vines unlike anything I've seen described in the grape-pest literature available to me. I need help identifying what I've got. These grapes are only 4 years old, and healthy, and I haven't had much in the way of pests before. Most of the eggs are on one cultivar, a Steuben, though are a few on nearby Vanessa and Canadice vines.

The eggs are on this year's new growth and in the open (rather than under loose bark on old growth). They are not in large clumps; most are by themselves or in groups of two or three. They are about the size of a pencil point (less than a millimeter across). They have no color; at first glance, they look like water drops.

The new growth has plenty of grape clusters (that are yet to open), so all these are reasonably near clusters -- but they are not on cluster stems.

Nor are there any signs of boring into the vines.

In the past, I've sprayed these vines with both copper and Pristine against disease (which has been minimal), And in March I sprayed the dormant vines with copper and oil. But I've never sprayed any insecticides. Never had to; the only pests have been Japanese beetles.

Any thoughts about what this could be? I've read several pages on line describing grape pests, and none seem to describe these eggs.

I should add that the information about the eggs comes from my wife. I'm working this spring in another state, and she's keeping an eye on things for me while I'm away. Haven't seen them for myself.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!