SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

How dangerous are pesticides?

alan haigh
12 years ago

It is spray season and I have a customer who treats me as though I was her heroin supplier every time I try to set up a spray appointment. She's addicted to the wonderful tree ripened fruit my spray program provides her but she's convinced that the pesticide I expose her to greatly increases her risks of getting cancer- and her exposure is miniscule.

My gardening approach used to be completely organic until I began trying to grow fruit in the east coast over 20 years ago. At that time there were no effective organic products for fruit production (pre-Surround). Even Gardens Alive, an organic grower's supply company, used to sell Imidan from their catalogue because of this problem.

So I made my deal with the devil and began a horticultural love affair with synthetic molecules, Imidan amongst them, and began to harvest wonderful fruit as a result.

The fear of my customer inspired me to do a fact search of what the dangers of pesticide exposure really are. On the internet there were plenty of studies that showed a connection between higher rates of certain cancers and exposure to specific pesticide compounds, and these seemed pretty scary, but what I really wanted to see was an epidemiological study that compared the general health of people regularly exposed to pesticides to that of the general public.

I found a couple of studies that compared the health of farmers to the general public over long periods of time. What they showed is that farmers live substantially longer than the general public, are healthier during that time and experience far fewer incidence of cancer.

I couldn't help but picture these farmers in a typical day, pulling a tractor with a mist blower spewing the most god-awful chemicals legally available to keep their crops productive. They'd often probably spend days just bathing in this stuff, in addition to being exposed to every manner of solvent and fuel fumes. It is well known that their exposure to these kinds of chemicals is many, many times that of the average person.

I'm not suggesting that we should all begin guzzling Imidan tea to improve our health, but it would seem that if the tiny bit of residue in conventionally grown produce is harmful to one's health these farmers would be dropping off their tractors like poisoned flies.

It would also seem that regular exercise and the less smoking and drinking that characterize the farmer lifestyle are the most important things to overall health that we can practice.

I'm pretty convinced that the real danger of these kinds of chemicals is their potential of overall environmental contamination, and in that capacity are just a small part of the picture, given the overall affect the modern American lifestyle has in injecting tons of contaminants into the environment to keep industry pumping out all the electronics and other products that we've all come to love.

Is this a logical conclusion and can any of you find any broad epidemiological studies that contradict what I found? Here's a link to one of these studies.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15780775

Comments (22)