SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candogal_gw

newly paved road near veggie garden - eeek!

13 years ago

Ack! This morning I went out to my veggie garden, fish & kelp emulsion in hand, and discovered they were re-paving my road. This is a problem because the only possible sunny spot for veggies on my lot is very close to the road. The rest of my acre property is wooded, so it was either deal with being close to the road or not grow veggies. I guess I was greedy for space (I still only have 200 sq ft), so the gardens ended about two feet away from the road.

They made the road a little wider during the re-paving, so the road material is now about 18" away. They used "chip sealer" and there are little bits of what I think are asphalt in the mulched area between the road & the garden. Worse, there are little bits of the stuff along the front of the garden. I'll have to pick those out, but it's worse.

I called and am waiting for a call back with info from the MSDS sheets for all the products they used. I just did some research online and am wondering if I was stupid to be gardening so close to a road all along - the heavy metals that can be in the run off sound scary.

The road crew foreman that I talked to said something about latex being used as the sticky layer. If it's natural rubber latex, I should probably stop gardening all together, because I have an anaphylactic allergy and latex is notorious for shedding particles. I don't want to think about latex or heavy metals all over my beautiful veggies.

I'm trying to be calm, but I'm worried. We've meant to make a french drain because in big storms, the mulch in front gets washed away. I wonder if we can make a good enough drain of some sort to help the road run off run away from the garden. I'm also planning on finding just exactly where the property marker is. My neighbors clear cut in back last year, and it makes me wonder if I could possibly squeeze out enough space in back. It would involve some major amount of tree cutting, though - not sure my kids would forgive me. Not sure if I can afford it, either - I doubt I have enough trees I'd want to have cut to interest a logger, so it would cost thousands.

Comments (4)