SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fossilnut

Need help planning a 'statue'

fossilnut
18 years ago

I'm a long-time lurker that has been avidly collecting info for future projects. We've just bought an old cabin on a lake in NE Washington and won't be moving in till Spring. But while we wait, I'm making plans.

I'd like to make some cement statues of things like a frog sitting on a lily pad (that I plan to mount IN the lake. Also like a large turtle brousing in my (also planned for) garden; some ducks (although we have enough of the real variety); a wading bird with long copper tube (or maybe rebar)legs....etc.

How would you suggest I make the form for a statue? I've been toying with getting some old styrofoam and sculpting it from that and then covering with concrete but I'm not sure if the concrete would stick on the foam, if I also need chicken wire or hardware cloth, or how thick I should cover it. Also, at what point could I work on actually sculpting the concrete? I'm guessing that concrete would be best for all of these as they'll be in or near the water.

Really appreciate your suggestions and I'd love to see some of your statues and learn how you made them.

Thanks!

Sandy

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner