SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meezer42

Umbrella plant, SEVERELY root bound! Help!

Meezer42
11 years ago

I wish I could post a picture, but I can't right this moment. I'm hoping I could still get some advice. Easter weekend I brought home an umbrella plant in need from a relative's house, but I have absolutely no experience with them nor do I know what kind it is. It is about 2.5 feet tall. It has two long, main branches with perhaps five bunches of leaves on the end of each branch. It is not variegated. I think it is probably the most commonly seen umbrella plant inside of a household. Otherwise, the branches are completely bare and the plant is leaning and quite top heavy. Apparently, all of the leaves but those bunches at the very top fell of recently and quite abruptly. I suspect it was underwatered, but I don't think that is what the main problem is. I looked in the pot and the soil is literally pulled inches away from the side because it is all tied up in this cake of root bound soil. I have never seen a more root bound plant! The bottom of the plant has thicker roots which wrap all around the bottom and are many inches in density. You can't even poke your finger through. The rest of the soil is literally all made of roots. There is virtually no soil. I bought a new pot. I would like to repot this plant and start raising it anew if I can. How much of the root system should I prune? Can I cut back the two main branches up to an inch or two of the soil level and not kill the plant? Any other suggestions? Also, from what I understand it is important to prune and shape your plant to what you want aesthetically? Are there any resources available to read about that? Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (9)