SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

'Red Flame' grape vine... coming from roots .... is it grafted?

vieja_gw
10 years ago

I am determined to get a 'Red Flame' grape to grow here: 5200 ft. zone 7; grows well in zone 6 here. But have had three failures! The first was a nice vine that got hit with a hard unusualy late frost right after I had planted it ..... dead! I bought another ? 'Red Flame' from a local nursery that the second year bore BLUE Concord grapes!! Got a small refund x the nursery on another but larger $$ can of 'Red Flame' & it did OK the last year but no fruit yet but this spring we had some 19-20 degree late spring before anything began to grow; I waited & waited but no sign of any growth on the 'Red flame' yet the 'Concord' were leafing out by then. Now I find the top is dry/brittle/dead! but a big green shoot is coming up from the root area ... will this be a true 'Red Flame' or is it grafted & this shoot is from the graft? If so, then another failure & I may give up... but I hate to admit defeat!! Everyone says the 'Red Flame' grows here well so don't know why my usually 'green thumb' has failed me?!

Any ideas or help appreciated!

Comments (8)