SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Fava Beans as cover crop for home orchard

kristimama
12 years ago

Hi all,

I've been reading lots of books on fruit orchards (just got done reading Epitaph for a Peach) and got to thinking about whether the cover crop concept would work in my backyard orchard (just a few fruit trees around my veggie garden). Wondering what I can do to ratchet up the health and texture of my native clay soil.

They've only been in there since Spring of 2009, planted bare root. I've fertilized a few times a year with EB Stone or Dr. Earth's fruit tree formula, around the planting hole, and then mulched with compost around the dripline.

I'm not unhappy with the growth, the plants look healthy, a couple of them actually set fruit this year.

But I got this vision of maybe planting fava and or other cover crops this fall, all around the garden and walkpaths, primarily as one way to improve the soil. (I also mulch with compost.)

I have read on here that too much cultivation of amendments around the drip line can hurt the smaller feeder roots, and I'm not really up for a bunch of rototiling in compost to my clay hillside. I also read that fertilizing in the planting hole isn't really as effective once the plant has been planted. I saw one person say they pour organics into holes they drill into the ground with a drill bit. But fertilizer doesn't do much to the texture of the soil, which is why I was thinking favas.

Right now, the entire area is mulched with western red cedar (gorilla hair, essentially) because it's the back hillside around my veggie garden, which is also mulched with said gorilla hair. It keeps the weeds down and the area nice looking (we have a table and benches and patio umbrella out there, too.)

In the fall, I was hoping to plant lots of fava and maybe other legumes all around, even better if it will help the fruit trees. (The idea of a forest of fava beans would be kinda cool for our kids, too.)

What do you think? Benefit? Waste of time?

Thanks, KM

Comments (6)