SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grassman84

Subsistence gardening

grassman84
15 years ago

I know that part of it is that canning and preserving is a lost art, but I dont feel that surviving year round on my backyard garden is feasible. My goal is not true subsistence, but enjoyment. I know if my survival depended on it, then it can be done as it was before electricity. There would be lots of root veggies and canning would be a must. But how about now with a freezer as an option? Here in the colder climates (I'm in New England) with a short growing season, fall is obviously bounty time. But what to do for the other 9 months of the year? I have the space and resources available that I could probably grow and harvest enough quantity of veggies, but is it realistic to expect to enjoy as many different varieties throughout the year as it is during fall? Trying to freeze the quantity needed to last throughout the year seems impossible. And not everything lends itself well to freezing. Canning (and I admit that I haven't eaten canned veggies) seems a less appetizing option. It would allow for storing a greater variety, however.

Does anyone have a system in place that allows them to fully "enjoy" the fruits (as it were) of their labor year round?

Comments (29)