SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sahm2ae

Norfolk Island Pine Question

16 years ago

To start, my Norfolk Island Pine didn't really have anything wrong with it, I just couldn't figure out exactly how long I've had it, though I'm fairly sure it was around October '06. I decided it was probably best to repot it, since I haven't seen any noticeable growth from it, though I haven't seen any decline, either.

As I worked the soil out of the pot, the plant came out, leaving about half of the pot with undisturbed soil, and a very compact (4 in") root ball in my hand.

{{gwi:82640}}

Thinking back to when I received the NIP, I had no knowledge of plants (my very first, a gift from MIL), and I'm sure I took it out of the container it came in, plopped it into the one it's in now, and filled around it with potting soil.

I bare-rooted it today, which took a good 20 minutes since it was completely solidified, and when I did, I noticed a tiny NIP, about 6 in" tall beside the four other trunks, which I potted into a small terra-cotta pot to grow alongside all my other babies.

So, my question, to which I'm assuming I already know the answer, is should I downsize the pot? I had to put it in something... I thought I'd be using the same pot, and I don't have any spare pots (I already need to buy two more). My only concern is it tipping over if I go too small.

Also, I was a little surprised at how small the root system was on this plant, and am curious to know if mine is normal, or if my carelessness before is the reason for this now, or both.

Thanks,

Chandres

Comments (7)