SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liv2learn

Norfolk Island Pine questions

liv2learn
17 years ago

I have a 3 1/2 foot tall Norfolk Island Pine that is fairly old and growing ok - large green branches and growing from the top. But two side trunks have grown from the point where the main trunk meets the soil line. These off-shoots are now getting big, about a foot tall. They have really shot up over the past year or so. These side trunks have caused the main trunk to curve to one side. Should I remove them? If so, what is the best way to do so to avoid damaging the main plant? Can these side trunks be repotted?

I also rescued another NI Pine that isn't doing too well from a friend who inherited it when she moved into her house. This plant is about 2+ feet tall but it only has one level of branches near the top and a growing tip. All the bottom branches have fallen off. I am sure it needs a repotting because the soil has likely been in there for many years and it looks crusty. The branches are a bit droopy. I can repot it but I am concerned about the tall bare trunk. Any suggestions for bringing it back to health? Thanks.

Comments (3)