SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
axel_hb

Apple scab woes with Raintree's 'red Fleshed' apple

Axel
15 years ago

4-5 years ago, I bought a red fleshed apple from Raintree. See A600S Red Fleshed apple M7

That was before I knew much about apples. I believed their description: "The elongated, deep red, flavorful, September apples are 2 inches long."

Well, I was a sucker, they are flavorful alright, how about so flavorful that they are inedible. It's not a noteworthy apple, it's really a red fleshed crab apple best used in landscaping - no, i take it back, don't grow this under any circumstance unless you want to infect your neighborhood with scab.

I've grafted over half the tree since the apples aren't really edible either. Golden delicious, tyderman's late, and cinnamon all seem to thrive on the tree.

Well, this year I got my first taste of apple scab. I mean, this isn't just a taste, this is a flood. As of about three weeks ago, the half of the tree that is "red flesh" was looking pretty bad, but it was hard to detect the scab initially, because the leaves are also red. It looked more like it had peach curl. The rest of the grafts on the tree were 100% fine with beautiful clean green leaves.

Then we got a bout of late rains, and things got worse. Now, whatever is "red flesh" is starting to defoliate, and the other varieties are getting signs of scab here and there.

Is anyone else growing this variety? I will most likely graft over the rest of the tree given the horrible results.

Can someone suggest some good apple scab resistant varieties?

Finally, shame on Raintree for selling such a horror, I've never seen anything this susceptible to apple scab. I was going to keep some of it around for breeding purposes, but now that I know it's so susceptible to disease, forget it.

For now I gave it a good lime sulfur spray, no, I mean soaking, but once that takes effect, hastalavista baby, I am grafting over the rest of the red fleshed.

People, don't fall for the descriptions in catalogs, they are generally bogus.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals