SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

Did I Plant My Apple at The Proper Depth?

lisazone6_ma
14 years ago

I planted my very first apple tree yesterday - a 'Pixie Crunch' dwarf/mini apple that's supposed to reach all of 5-6 feet tall, if that. The tree came bare root and dormant. It's basically a tall stick. I can see where the top was grafted to the root stock, and there's a white line "painted" an inch or so above where the "roots" are growing, then another line is painted just below the graft.

I planted the tree at the line above the roots - is that right? After I had it in the ground, I noticed the other line below the graft and then I started thinking maybe that's the line I should have planted it at - but the "root stock" is about a third the length of the entire tree, so I didn't think that much should be buried below the soil. There was also a green shoot coming out from the bottom of the root stock that I broke off. I had to pot it up temporarily before I could get it in the ground so some of the buds had just broken and this shoot started growing as well - I assumed it was a "sucker" from the root stock. Did I do right breaking it off?

I'm sure I'm making mountains out of molehills, but this is my first time dealing with a fruit tree and I'm woefully ignorant about fruit trees. I would imagine planting depth is critical - this isn't a perennial you'd dig up and move around. It's staying where it's planted for a long time, so I want to get it right!

It also came with a little bag of food with this huge warning on it about "boron" and how it should only be used for fruit trees and it's dangerous in too high a level - can anyone explain what that was about? I want to garden 100% organically - altho I realize not everything organic is good and not everything "chemical" is bad - I simply want to keep things as environmentally friendly as I can. It's one of the reasons I want to grow my own fruit and veggies - to keep things as organic as possible. The boron warning has me spooked now!

Thanks!

Lisa

Comments (15)