SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsgarden

Grapes/Edible Vines for Pergola

lindsgarden
12 years ago

Hello all!

I am looking for grapes and edible vines to grow on two pergolas (a total of about 250 square feet of growing area)! Since the pergolas are in an area where people will be frequently I want to grow vines that will be relatively carefree in terms of diseases and insects. The pergolas get some morning sun and lots of afternoon sun.

I would prefer not having to spray and could bag grapes if necessary, however I would love to create a Mediterranean-esque space and it would be beautiful to have clusters of grapes hanging down (the pergolas are about 8.5 and 7.5 ft tall)! I would like at least one variety of blue grapes unless there is a huge advantage to growing green grapes (fewer issues with birds, etc).

I have been looking at Edible Landscaping's site for recommendations and so far the following varieties look the most promising (as far as varieties to eat out of hand):

- "America" (blue grape) - sounds like the most disease resistant

- "Kay Grey" (white grape)

- "Mortensen" (white grape)

- "Mars" (blue grape)

- "Concord" (blue grape) - sounds quite disease resistant

- Muscadines - (Ison's, Carlos, Sugargate)

I am really curious what varieties people have success with here! Suggestions for wine grapes are also invited (husband has an interest in wine-making)!

Finally, will muscadines overrun the "regular" grapes? Since I want at least one blue grape variety, I am afraid a neighboring muscadine could overtake the "regular" grapes.

Thanks in advance for your help! - Lind

Comments (5)