SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adrienne_giacon

Will a grape vine over my pergola bring rats?

Adrienne Giacon
9 years ago

We have a pergola that comes off the roof and over our deck. I am in NZ, and contemplating planting over it, as one of the posts goes into the from garden ( the other three are on the deck. ( as our house is not that beautiful and would make it look more like a cottage) It was bare wood, and we have just painted it white- the house will follow in white, or an off white colour when we paint it.

I liked the thought of grapes, but have read in several places that rats eat grapes. Is this a big problem with grape vines? As is putting me off the idea... I am a fan of edible gardens, I realise that it will probably take 5 years to look any good.

Are rats a problem with a grapevine? Is there a way to prevent it? Will it encourage wasps, bees etc around the house?

I love those small old fashioned grapes, Yum. But is it hard to grow them over a pergola? I tried to read some instructions on how you have to prune the shoots each year and found it a bit confusing.

I read that vines also make the place cooler as the plants give off moisture, so are better than a shade cloth or awning.

It did have a native flowering vine on it when we moved in, but it had big heavy banana shaped seed pods, that dropped everywhere all the time, and made it so heavy it struggled to stay up without heavy ties. We trained it along the rail instead, but as you might be able to see, our passionfruit have taken over and we might have to rip out the native altogether.

Anyhow, advice on grapevines would be most welcome

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH