SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Need to raise pH quickly - best way?

2ajsmama
9 years ago

Church is starting a community garden, I helped plant blueberries there yesterday, soil pH is 4.9. I had mentioned a few weeks ago about needing to raise the pH slightly (5.5 would be good) for raspberries and blackberries. Ideally, this would have been done last year, but wasn't. It still hasn't been done and we've got 5 TC blackberries and about 10 (5 each?) Nova and Latham raspberries in the fridge that need to be planted in the next few days (bare root).

I recommended just spreading a more neutral compost on the row, since the brambles are relatively shallow-rooted. Pelletized lime is another consideration (I know it won't raise pH in a matter of days, but would help over the course of the next couple of years). The main planner/gardener has wood ash available but I really don't like to put that down right before planting (not to mention it's very windy today, I don't know about tomorrow), and worry about someone overapplying it.

What would be the best thing to do to get these plants in the ground ASAP, I assume they will grow with pH of 4.9 but not the best, and I'd like to do what we can to get them off to best start. Suggestions for modifying the pH in the fall and coming years (given the shallow roots) would be welcome.

I've planted TC and (different varieties) raspberries before, in 2012, but used lots of compost mixed with our native (around 5.0) soil, haven't fertilized or amended since, some fruit in 2013, raspberries are spreading, successfully tip-rooted some TC, so I don't think they need it though could fertilize this year.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath