SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
starfyre

is hypertufa for me?

starfyre
17 years ago

ok so here's the thing. I'm building a little stone tower/turret for my girls fiary garden. But I'm trying to figure out the best, strongest way to do it. I've made the tower with a mixture of aquarium gravel and quikrette and am moderately happy with the results (looks like an old stone castle just glossier, and I'm not even sure how this is goign to hold together under the pressure of the roof - it seems sturdy enough) but the roofing has me stumped. If I made a cone with chicken wire and laid it at top of tower and then molded hypertufa around it would this be enough to attach it to the house or do I need an adhesive to help make sure the two piece mesh. Could I carve "shingles" into it? Would it hold up during curing, or do I need a more solid form to mold the hypertufa over and attach it to the tower with cement once its cured? Also - because of the porosity of this stuff how easy is it to paint and clear coat so that it looks like it belongs with the glossy aquarium gravel walls??

I had wanted to use clay as I've done for years but clay will not work for the outside exposure I need this for - and I'm a tad nervous about venturing into the realm of hypertufa since I've never touched the stuff before - I'm a creature of habit I guess and new things worry me a little...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert