SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tufftufa

Plaster of Paris (POP) - new esperience

17 years ago

I've never used POP before and I post my experience for those who might benefit from it and in hope of suggestions. I'm experimenting with the wrapped cardboard mold, covered entirely with tape, then covered on the outside with drywall tape and given a light coat of POP, later a thin coat of Portland/water, finally hypertufa.

Luck served me well. I used a medium foam coffee cup and mixed with a putty knife. Spread this and then used my wider joint knife to make a smoother finish. Kept it thin but tried to hide the drywall tape web.

Were I to do it again, I'd have used a 2nd cup half way through because my last side had some thicker places probably due to carry over from the first batch. I made five small batches, one for each side and one for the bottom.

I had put plastic down on a small piece of plywood and I was well served by having it securely taped down so it didn't move. And I had some small pieces of wood to life

t opposite corners when complete so it doesn't (I hope) stick to the plastic when it dries.

Note well, the dust is so fine that if the light is not exactly right, you can't even see it. POP and Portland cement dust are very dangerous. WEAR A MASK and goggles with side covers. Also be sure to scrape as much off as possible before you clean yourself or your tools in the sink. We don't want that stuff hardening in our drain pipes.

Thin coat of Portland/water next. I'm putting some fiberglass fibers in there too. Put them in a small jar of water last night, shook it up and they are widely dispersed and ready to add.

One of the newest of the newbies.

David

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES