SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zandra_gw

My cold damp windowsill solution

zandra
17 years ago

After years of trying to grow things, -anything on my north facing windowsill, which by the way, is right over my sink, and covered by a curtain at night for privacy and gets very cold in winter, I finally thought of the current experiment which has succeeded. Incidentally, I tried christmas cactus, which did okay but got too big eventually and had sparse blooms, and I can't afford the cool growing orchids, or I'd certainly try those. Anyway, I came up with the idea of mame bonsai. Originally I went around collecting any chance seedling I could find that had accidentally sprouted in a crack somewhere around town. that seemed to go alright at first but then most of my collection became unhealthy over the winter and just didn't thrive. meanwhile I'd been collecting bits of moss from all over, and tiny wild ferns (nothing endangered, mostly from sidewalk cracks and garden walls) I ended up with little things sprouting from the moss, including liverworts and some strange weeds that look like wild rose seedlings, not sure yet. I feed them lightly with liquid fish emulsion and that seems to work well. Now that the pots have had time to develop, here's my windowsill garden, all quite vigorous:

-a topiary cotoneaster shaped like a little standard about 3" high

-a 3"*2" pot of horsetail mixed with lady fern and moss

-a dwarf English ivy in a 4" pot

-about four 1-2" pots of mosses, all different in color and type

-I just added a tiny sprout of piggyback plant (can't think of the name) which is native here in the woods

Just thought this might expand the horizons of someone who also has the same sort of growing conditions on a prominent windowsill in their home:)

Comment (1)