SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rickharmer

White cement discussion

rickharmer
18 years ago

So,I'll try and get this straight:I spoke to a rep from Federal White cement today,telling him that I was having a problem with clumping.Comments on that were that the cement was hydrating and that meant that the portland was compromised with moisture.I asked about breaking up the clumps and continuing to use the mix.He stated that this was NOT a good idea.He did say that you could screen out the clumps and use the remainder of the powder.I don't know about you,but I tried 2 screenings.There were still clumps,just very small.And,people,they can cause strength problems.For me,I'm not as worried about that fact,but some of you might.

And,to another point.He said that in fact white cement has a slightly longer shelf life than grey!And,Federal did not supply my retailer in Burnaby with white portland;they would have gotten it elsewhere.So,I guesss the moral of this story is:Know your supplier.Ask him where they get their cement,and how long has this batch of product been in their warehouse.The Federal rep says that,at least here on the West Coast,the stock turns over about every six weeks with the retailers that he deals with.

So,I'm switching to a better supplier(either PacWest or Target)to get my cements.

Cheers from the(finally)sunny Sunshine Coast!

Comments (12)