SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenart_gw

I didn't know about the water bath!

gardenart
18 years ago

I sure wish I knew about your website before I started casting leaves! I used the original recipe from the Martha video I had tucked away all these years, no mention of a water bath for curing. My first 3 hosta leaves were fine, broke one as I was trimming the edge,(will use as edging in my garden). My second attempt was a maple leaf (forgot the darn thing had so many points) and a large rhubarb leaf. They both turned out fine, have been painted with acrylic paint, and then I read about the water bath! I cast the first leaves over a month ago, the second batch about 3 weeks ago. Is it worthwhile for me to try the water bath after all this time? They have not been sealed yet. I was going to seal them with Thompson's water seal, is there a better choice? I cast these leaves in my basement,room temperature, and they seem hard as a rock.I also used cut pieces of coat hangers that were twisted at the bottoms for hooks, not sure if it will hold the weight of the rhubarb leaf? Can any of you experienced casters please help? I hope this question hasn't been asked & answered already, I tried to read through the entire forum and my head is spinning! Thanks

Comments (5)