SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mintgum

Don't tell me it wont grow?!

15 years ago

I know you should always look to see whats growing near you to get an idea of what will grow in you location but...

I've been looking at a big edible shade tree for my yard and figured a walnut would be the best choice. Just not a black walnut, so as to avoid the problems with higher juglone. (Though I have to say that they are beautiful trees)

No spiny casings like chestnut, no staining fruit(and bird poo?) like mulberry. Tasty fruits for my labor someday, for baking, my first favorite pastime. And all together a beautiful shade tree.

But... We live at about 3500 elevation in a bit of an alpine desert. Zone five (some swear its lower) we have a rather short hot season(up to 100's) and late frosts - sometimes through May(its snowed in July at least once). I understand this can cause some damage on new growth, but late leafing cultivars do better.

So... do you think there's any chance an english type walnut of the right variety would grow here? At least enough to produce some shade? Eventually? Any suggestions on cultivars to try and/or sources?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting