SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen1996_gw

Squash leaves turning yellow ... what can I do

jen1996
11 years ago

Hi all. This is the first year I have done raised beds. I am a beginner re gardening.

I did the lasange method (cardboard, composted leaves, grassclippings, pine needles, composted food scraps and loam and composted cow manure.

Over all everything seems to be thriving but every squash plant (a few pumpkin, a few spagetti squash and a few yellow squash) all have some yellowing of leaves. Including few that I have in containers. Green beans are getting eaten I will do a separate post for that.

The first pic attached is of yellow or spag squash reaching through the pumpkin. That plant has the most yellow.

I searched through the forums and on google for causes of yellow leaves. Saw things like nitrate, too much water, too little water, squash borers, cucumber beetles and wilt bacterial infection.

I read to test for infection to break off a stem and see if it oozes. It did not. Juice was thin and clear. I looked at all of the stems for borers. So far there is no wilt.

I do not have any mulch down as you can see in the pictures. I do not think I have been watering too much though we have more rain this week. It is possible they were getting too little (I was afraid of over watering) but we have had some light rain off and on several times to day and over the past couple of days and I fel like leaves are getting yellower.

Over all the plants seem healthy. Just want to catch any problem early on.

Is it too late to mulch? Can I use composted leaves or grass?

How can I tell if it is nitrate problem and what do I do if it is the problem? Where do I get good nitrate? I read some use urine????

Thanks

Jen

Comments (14)