SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darcygarden

Aristocrat Squash leaves turning yellow on edge & cuke failing.

darcygarden
15 years ago

I am a newbie. We have a long and skinny garden (about 5 x 25 ft). At the far end we planted a row of 3 aristocrat squash plants and a row of cucumbers- half pickling and half Japanese. My three squash plants are only about 12-15" apart (we have them growing in tomato cages), the cucumbers are behind them are on a trellis.

Everything looked great until about a week ago when the squash plants flowered. As soon as the flowers arrived (6-7 on each plant), the edges of the leaves turned yellow. The flowers continue to grow, and one small squash has appeared, but the yellowing looks worse each day.

Across from the squash the Japanese cucumbers seem to have taken off on the trellis, but the pickling plants are pale yellow green and have not grown much at all. This is my first time growing zucchini (Squash), but after looking up pictures I think my aristocrat has also been pale throughout it's existence.

What am I doing wrong?

I have cut off all dead leaves, I fertilize every 2-3 weeks with a mild organic fertilizer (4-5-6), and I water every 2-3 days (depending on the heat). We have sandy soil with good drainage. I have gages in by our tomato plants and I do not water until they point to 'dry'. I have not noticed any bugs on the leaves and, as far as I know, there are no SVBs along the pacific. Should I fertilize more? Would the plants benefit from fish emulsion? Am I watering too much? Could this be a virus?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Darcy

Comments (11)