SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyk2008

would like to trade for houseplant cuttings or seed

ladyk2008
16 years ago

Hi, there everybody. I have really enjoyed being a part of Garden Web since IÂve joined. I have met some really nice, friendly people and have felt very encouraged by members who have taken the time to answer my questions. I think itÂs safe to say I am a GW addictÂ:-) Btw, I realize that this is a US forum but I was hoping to find other Canadians here so trading would be a non-issue, as the Canadian Forums have no houseplant exchangeÂI also posted this on the Canadian Gardening Exchange, so I may open more opportunities to trade.

I have this new project that I took on two weeks ago and would love some input, advice and opinions good or bad. My son goes to a K-12 school in the village that I live in. I have noticed since he started there that the indoor greenery is in very poor shape/almost non-existent. There are big planters all over the school and I have some great ideas for all of them, but I wanted to know what you think, what you would do if you were me, what houseplants or indoor plants you would choose to plant. I sort of Âvoluntold myself that I was going to do something about this, I did. And I have been really, really enjoying myself so far. The school is reimbursing us for whatever we spend, however I didnÂt want to just go out and buy a bunch of plants from whatever store, and not only that, you have to have money to spend in order to be reimbursed. I wanted variety, some really different types of things for everybody to enjoy. The lighting in each area is different but all three levels (low, med., high) are available to plant in. I ordered the following plant seeds from eBay (only one is for use outside the school-French Lilac) and have already started some other seeds that were given to me by my some of my GW buddies, for placement indoors at the school:

Coleus 'Black Dragon' (Coleus blumei) 50+ SEEDS

Sensitive Plant (Mimosa Pudica) - 50+ SEEDS

Coleus 'Rainbow Mix' (Coleus hybridus) - 200+ SEEDS

Begonia Nonstop Mix (Begonia X tuberhybrida) 25+ SEEDS

French Lilac Tree (Syringa vulgaris) - 50+ SEEDS

Awesome Sunflower Collection - 10 Varieties:

Italian White

Red Sun

Velvet Queen

Giganteus

Indian Blanket

Giant Double Sun Gold

Auntumn Beauty

Valentine

Mexican Sunflower (Tithonia)

Moonwalker

50+ SEEDS of each variety

Wax Begonia 'Cocktail Mix' (B. semperflorens) 50+ SEEDS

I also have my trade list, but what I was wondering is do you think people here on GW will want to trade for these varieties or are these too common? I have already been given permission from the principal to trade some of each variety that I ordered in order to have a larger variety of plants. What do you folks think? As well, what amounts of seed of these types of plants are reasonable for trade? I would like to make a trade with someone for houseplant cuttings or houseplant seeds, indoor groundcovers, palms, ferns etc. in exchange for what I just listed as well as for anything else that is on my trade list.

Also, if you know of a great source for houseplant type seeds/plants (inexpensive) that youÂve had good experiences with please let me know.

I wanted to share the before pictures with you all so you could see that there is great potential there, as well as planter areas, lighting, space and size. I wrote a four page letter to the principal this past Monday morning that had all my questions, observations about the plants already there, what could be done, and my ideas in it. As I said I am having fun with this. Schools donÂt have budgets for landscapers/gardeners and I donÂt think the expectation is there for the janitors to be keeping up steadily with all of it, as yes there is a lot. But, I really think it could look beautiful. Any thoughts?

Wish me luck & Happy GardeningÂ.

K

{{gwi:78864}}

{{gwi:78865}}

{{gwi:78866}}

{{gwi:78867}}

{{gwi:78868}}

{{gwi:78871}}

{{gwi:78873}}

{{gwi:78875}}

{{gwi:78877}}

{{gwi:78878}}