SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Manicuring your houseplants to make them look flawless. Does anyo

meyermike_1micha
15 years ago

I was wondering if it was possible to grow a plant that has perfect leaves, and looks perfect in appearence without manicuring them?

Or is it a constant process of trimming brown tips, cutting off yellow leaves and so on. Is this the nature of plants even though the growing conditions are perfect for them?

I had a friend over the other day that said I have the most amzing plants, but they all seem to have some sort of flaw or imperfection on many leaves and branches.

But overall, the plants as a whole are healthy and beautiful.

He, a nursery worker, said that alot of things can make a plant have anything but PERFECTLY good looking leaves on every plant at all times.

He says his uncle has to constantly do this for his plant shows. They have to look perfectly manicured. No flawed leaves...They are so beautiful though. I guess nurseries, at least the one he works in, do this to sell their plants. I see them picking leaves all the time. Dead ones,yellowing ones, brown tipped ones, and deformed ones.

He said he has never seen anyone growing plants indoors, in any home that look as clean and as healhty as those in nurseries. He said they spend hours taking off any flawed leaves.

I never noticed until he had me examine each leaf in all my plants. WOW I must of trimmed and cut off at least a 6 inch pile of blemished leaves, from my palms all the way up to my corn plants and my citrus. I even had to cut off dead branches correctly. Dead plant stubbs. I cut off 6 leaves on my corn plant alone, that had brown dry spots. It looks green now and every leaf looks great.

Does anyone else here manicure ther indoor houseplants on a regular basis? Do you know how to even cut branches off correctly to encourage a perfet shaped and clean looking plant? I am just learning.

I guess I am going to be more diligeant now. I thought just ignoring them, except for the watering and feeding was ok......

Mike.-0)

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths