SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wynswrld98

Rainier Cherry Tree: pollinator recommendations? 3-in-1?

Wayne Reibold
16 years ago

I planted three semi-dwarf cherry trees here in the Seattle/Tacoma part of Washington state about two years ago, two are Rainier cherry trees, one is a three-in-one cherry tree to act as a pollinator. They're all about 10' tall. The first summer I got excellent fruit production from all three trees but last summer I got hardly any fruit from any of them although I did get a little bit from each tree.

I didn't pay attention to flowering last spring but this spring I made a point of observing it. What I noticed this spring is the Rainier cherry trees have a TON of flowers on them right now but the three-in-one cherry tree (whose purpose is mainly to pollinate the Rainier cherry trees) has very, very few flowers. I'm thinking what happened last summer is the three-in-one didn't pollinate the Rainier cherry trees well. I haven't seen any neighbors in the area with fruiting cherry trees either so I think I'm on my own. There are a lot of bees around in the spring/summer so I think I'm good there.

Anyway, I want to yank the three-in-one tree out and replace it with a different tree to act as a pollinator. I eat the cherries straight off the tree, not into baking, was curious recommendations for sweet, flavorful tasting cherry tree I can buy that will pollinate the Rainiers. From web searches I've done it comes up with Bing, Black Tartarian and Stella. I'm not familiar with the growth habit/fruiting/vigor/taste of any of these so I'm looking for recommendations.

Are three-in-one, four-in-one, etc. trees a bad idea? Should I stick with choosing a cherry tree that is only one variety?

Also, the trees I bought are semi-dwarf, any idea how big they'll eventually get?

Comments (6)