SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mindyw3

strange so far, quite a few dissapointments!

Mindyw3
11 years ago

We have had a very hot and dry summer. Highs 90 to 110, lows 70 to 80, essentially no rain. I dont even remember the last time it rained.....

All of the tomatoes have done well( big beef brandywine sweet 100s green zebra). The san marzano started out the strongest but mostly developed ber. We lost half the acorn squash to borers and the remaining plants refuse to even bloom in this heat, same with the zucs. Even watering every other day they are shriveled by 1pm. Between my 15 pepper plants i have maybe 15 actual peppers, no bell peppersat all. Only pimento and poblano and they are all tiny. I have 5 eggplants and maybe 3 fruit between them but i know from experience that eggplants do better in early fall here. Fortex beans have a disappointment in production. Idk if its the heat or what but they are not setting pods well. My two gigantic cuke plants have only produced 3 cukes. : / and i have not been able to get ANYTHING for fall crops to germinate in rhe ground so any tips for germinating carrots and beets would be great and yes weve tried mulching with straw and the ground still gets bone dry within a few hours.

Good stuff.....not much. Tons of tomatoes, but i dont really like tomatoes. Leeks and celery are still doing ok. Ive counted 9 butternut squash but only 1 visible pumpkin. Melons WERE putting on lots of fruit but are starting to look beat up by this heat. And i have yet to master telling when a melon is ripe so of the 5 ive picked only 3 had any color and the charentais that LOOKED ripe even after cutting tasted like cardboard. My dry bean experiment was interesting. I only got 1 cup dry from the beans i already shelled and i imagine another 2 cups worth still need shelling. Ill probably use the space to plant more squash and melons next year. Still waiting to see if my small corn patch ever produces silks but im not betting on it as i watch farmers abandon theirs.

Also, not a fan of sugar baby, too seedy. And while i like the space saving bush type squashes, the fruit are borderline to small but ripen really fast!

Comments (4)